At the front of Palace of the Post there is a niche that dates to when the building was restored back to medieval style in 1926. The niche was created as home to the Madonna del Popolo, a painting dating to the XIV century which was on the external wall of the Church of San Nicolò. It portrays a Madonna with Child on a Throne between Saints Clare and Francis with a view of Assisi at the bottom. In 1339, we have learned about an officer who had the job of filling the lamp and ringing the bell to call people to vespers. For conservation reasons, the painting has been moved to the Pinacoteca and replaced by a copy.