The loggia under the Palazzo del Comune was built in 1342. In 1381, the back exit was closed by a wall and a gate was placed at the entrance of the square. Because the Apostolic Governor had his permanent residence in this palace, in 1556 Marcello Tuto from Siena ordered the vault to be painted with humorous frescoes, inspired by the Domus Area of Emperor Nerone. The Papal coat of arms belongs to Paolo IV Carafa (1555-1559). On August 21st 1556, the amount of 4 florins was paid to “Raphael pictor”, probably Raffaello Coda da Rimini who has been mentioned many times in Assisi and other places in Umbria.