In 1338 the Comune purchased some houses with a courtyard and a casalino (little house) from Bono di Lello da Assisi, adjoining the House of Bernardo Fiumi and a public brothel. These houses were bought to allow the building of a “Palatium novum Comunis”, which was already completed by 1342, and included a new vault on the ground floor. The numerous lords who competed for governing the city chose this palace as a residence, until 1555, when it became the permanent seat of the Apostolic Governor. During its restoration in 1925, the building was lowered (one floor) and humpback windows of Romanesque style were opened.