The Palazzo del Governatore (Palace of the Governor) is located on the lower side of the square and is the tallest among the public buildings of Assisi. It was as tall as the other buildings when it was originally built, but, in 1925, an additional floor was added during the restoration that was carried out by architect Ruggero Antonelli (Perugia 1888-1974). This restoration brought back the rounded windows of the second floor, giving it a Romanesque appearance. In 1450, Niccolò V Parentucelli (1447-1455) received the visit of a Papal Governor, which meant that Assisi did not have to be under the authority of Perugia. In the following decade a residence for the magistrate was built (where the garden of the Comune was), between Palazzo dei Priori and the first residence of the Governor.