PALACE OF THE PRIORS commemorative stone

The large commemorative stone on the upper floor of the Palace has the coat of arms of Pope Paolo III Farnese, cardinals Ascanio Parisani and Alessandro Farnese, and the Papal Governor Giovanni Andrea Cruciani. The underlying inscription – the original is in Latin – mentions the division of the city into terzieri (subdivisions, quarters) ordered by Giovanni Andrea Cruciani in 1542: “To The Greatest Pontiff Paolo III, Very Worthy Legate Ascanio Cardinal of Rimini, to Great Protector Alessandro Cardinal Farnese, to the Governor of the utmost integrity Giovanni Andrea Cruciani, for the factions removed, for the public goods partly returned, and for the city admirably ordered into quarters, citizens placed this stone. MDXLII”