After the annexation of Assisi to the Sabaudo State (September 1860), the old Palazzo dei Priori was completely restored. The internal divisions were removed to convert the building into the main seat of the Comune. In 1870, Alessandro Venanzi (Perugia 1838 – Assisi 1916) decorated the walls of the big entrance hall with views of twenty villas and castles of Assisi. The underlying stripe indicates the coats of arms of the most important local families. The heraldic shield is at the centre of the vault and is divided into two colors, light blue with a silver cross and red with a rampant golden lion.