With the latest enlargement of the square toward the east in 1275, the City purchased a palace belonging to ser Vagnozzo in order to build a headquarters to host the General Council of People. This ”Palatium Novum Populi” was built between 1304 and 1308. It was located in an isolated position between Piazza del Comune and the square behind it, Piazza dei Macelli (today piazza della Chiesa Nuova), at the intersection of the streets coming into town from the Gates San Giorgio and Moiano. The main side opened with a loggia. The downhill side was divided into workshops for selling meat. The upper floor had just one large room intended only for popular assemblies.